#startingconversations-#startingconversations

Heathrow Airport Targets Zero Carbon Emissions By Mid 2030

Heathrow airport has declared that it is now carbon neutral for its infrastructure. With the announcement, Heathrow is now one of the world’s first major aviation hubs to go carbon neutral and is also the first to target zero carbon by the mid-2030s.

Heathrow has reduced carbon emissions by 93%

The organisation has invested £100 million in improving energy efficiency and generating and purchasing renewable energy. Heathrow has reduced carbon emissions by 93% compared to 1990. The reduction has been from airport buildings and infrastructure. The remaining 7% of airport infrastructure emissions – including those from heating – will now be offset through tree planting projects in Indonesia and Mexico certified through the Verified Carbon Standard.

heathrow

Carbon offsetting will be an interim measure by Heathrow to reduce carbon emissions, while they work towards becoming a zero-carbon airport. They will also be focused on making improvements to sustainable transport links. A target has been set to transition all of Heathrow’s cars and small vans to electric and plug-in hybrid.

Additional investment of £1.8 million has been made for carbon saving projects

The airport is also announcing an additional investment of £1.8 million for 2020 to kick-start UK nature-based carbon-saving projects. These additional funds will help begin the restoration of natural UK carbon sinks including peatlands, woodlands and farming soils. The Committee on Climate Change has estimated that this restoration will have the ability to help save 43 megatonnes of carbon annually by 2050 if significant investments are made. 

Heathrow will require assistance to achieve this milestone. Leveraging its position, it must encourage others in the aviation industry to contribute to similar initiatives that can reduce the number of carbon emissions in the atmosphere.

Heathrow Chief Executive John Holland-Kaye said: “ Making our infrastructure entirely carbon neutral is a significant milestone and a testament to the determination of our airport to help spearhead a new era of sustainable aviation. Our sights are now set on working with the global aviation industry to deliver on net-zero by 2050, at the latest. We can and will cut the environmental cost of flying whilst keeping the benefits of travel for future generations.”

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related

More Articles Like This

More from the Author

Transportation In Japan

Japan is famous for its reliable and fast transportation network. The country boasts a great, efficient transportation system to take you almost...

Sterling Holiday Resorts Records A PBT Of Rs. 28 Cr. In The First Quarter, Records A Total Income Of Rs 102 Cr.

Resort Business generates 40% EBITDA on account of growth in room and food & beverage revenues.35% increase in the average room rate...

Easter Island Reopens Its Borders To Foreign Visitors

After 868 days of border closures, more than 230 tourists have arrived on Rapa Nui, marking the official return of tourists to...

Thailand To Launch New 10-Year Visa Programme

In order to attract talented workers and investors, Thailand plans to launch a new 10-year visa programme in September.